Exercise without hurting your joints
Why exercise in the water?
- Less pressure on joints.
- Improves flexibility.
- Improves joint movement.
- Strengthens and tones muscles.
- Less pain than exercising on land.
You can exercise without hurting joints that are susceptible to damage. This form of therapy is recommended by the Arthritis Foundation since water is gentle for aching joints. This effect is even better when the water is warm since moist heat relieves pain, allowing you to do more without discomfort.
When you exercise in the water,
- You are buoyant, so the effects of gravity are minimal on your joints
- There is less compression when you are buoyant which allows you to exercise longer. Ten minutes of exercise on land equals about 30 to 45 minutes in the water.
- Water offers 12 times more resistance than air, so you work harder than you could on land.
- There is an increased blood flow to muscles, ligaments and tendons
- Joints are protected by the buoyancy of the water which allows the muscles to stretch, become stronger and more flexible
Who benefits the most from Aquatic Therapy?
- Anyone who suffers from any kinds of arthritis that affects hands, feet, knees, shoulders, neck, hip and spine.
- Anyone with back pain
- Anyone with muscle aches, such as fibromyalgia
- Anyone who is unable to do a regular gym exercise program
- Anyone who just had a joint replacement surgery, like a total knee and total hip replacement.
Your aquatic therapy session wil be individualized for your needs, based on a thorough assessment, and you will be supervised by a physiotherapist, who will be in the water with you, throughout your program.
As a client of Gateway Physiotherapy you benefit from:
- Being in a warm, heated pool
- Having your sessions covered by your extended health benefits
- An individualized program designed specifically for your injuries
- Constant monitoring and progression of exercises by a Registered Physiotherapist
If you want to exercise with less pain, improve your health and energy then,
Aquatic Therapy may be a great option for you!
Call us at 474-4440 for more information